Friday, March 16, 2012

Post #7- Religion & Diversity


Blue Jays outfielder Travis Snider learns the Zen of baseball
By: Larry Millson
After today’s Communicating Diversity class, I really started to think more about religion and spirituality in my every-day life, and how they contrast with one another. As someone who was never exactly forcefully encouraged to practice religion-religiously- I found myself to be more spiritually oriented. What this means to me is that instead of directly looking to a higher power to help me in time of need, I looked for inner strength, as well as to family and friends.
I was tickled when I read this article on the Major League Baseball (MLB) player Travis Snider’s new interest in Zen. When I think of religion and sports my mind directly goes to the Denver Bronco’s Tim Tebow. Many know him as the National Football League (NFL) player who gets down on one knee and starts praying on the field before, after and during a game.
Tebow, praying on the sidelines
Going back to the article, I found it intriguing to hear that although, Toronto Blue Jays outfielder, Snider “doesn’t claim to be Buddhist or any particular religion from that sense,” he still “was able to take some things and put them in perspective.” Often times I find myself acting similarly, picking and choosing aspects certain religions possess and applying them to my spiritual instincts in order to better myself.

I believe that the way in which Snider claimed he could relate to books regarding inner peace displayed his spiritual side. When referring to the tendinitis in his right wrist that ended his season last year, Snider claimed “it was a blessing in disguise… It gave me some extended time to spend with some friends and family and do some good self-reflection and really put things in perspective.” This quote interested me because the language Snider used (“blessing”) showed me his religious side. However, the rest of the quote reflected more of a spiritual side.
Snider, looking to Zen to change up the game
As a communication student I find it fascinating to examine how athletes in MLB, and the NFL, look to gain their non-physical strength both on and off the field. I find it inspiring that their openness and understanding of religion and spirituality can influence not only fans, but almost anyone that whatever your belief, if it works for you than that’s what you should do.

I am excited to see the new baseball season begin, and especially excited to see if Snider will take the left outfield position. I would like to follow up and see just how his new Zen interest plays out on the field. Snider’s spiritual interest is by far one of the most interesting things I’ve seen come out of left-field. Maybe it’ll be a home run?
Let's go Blue Jays!
References:
Millson, L. (2012, March 5). Blue Jays outfielder Travis Snider learns the Zen of baseball. The Toronto Star. Retrieved from http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/1141359--blue-jays-outfielder-travis-snider-learns-the-zen-of-baseball

No comments:

Post a Comment